15 terms to know when learning about studying abroad in Canada 2024

Published on May 14, 2024

15 terms to know when learning about studying abroad in Canada 2024

Studying abroad in Canada is a dream and goal for many young people with different orientations. To help you better understand this journey, this article will summarize 15 important terms you need to know in 2024.

Letter of Acceptance (LOA)

The Letter of Acceptance (LOA) is an official document issued by a Canadian school to international students confirming their admission into a specific program. An LOA is a mandatory requirement for applying for a Canadian student visa.

The admission letter includes basic information such as personal details, school, course, study duration, tuition fees, scholarships, and admission conditions (if any).

Students can find course information in Canada and apply for the LOA for free through the LOA Portal.


A Designated Learning Institution (DLI) is a school approved by the Canadian government to host international students. International students must study at DLI-listed institutions to be eligible to stay and work after graduation.

Some schools have DLI at Canada.

Canadian student visa

A Canadian student visa allows foreign nationals to enter and reside in Canada to pursue an educational program. 

Details of 6 steps for a Canada study visa

Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL)

The Provincial Attestation Letter (PAL) is a document issued by the provincial government in Canada confirming that international students meet the province's admission requirements and are allowed to study at colleges/universities in that province.

As of January 22, 2024, PAL is mandatory for all college, university, and postgraduate visa applications. Students receive this letter after obtaining the Admission Letter and paying the required deposit.

Learn more about PAL - Provincial Attestation Letter 2024


The Student Direct Stream (SDS) is a visa application process for students from specific countries, including Vietnam. SDS shortens the visa processing time and increases the acceptance rate.

Studying in Canada under SDS without financial proof requires meeting the following 3 basic conditions:

  • IELTS score of 6.0 overall.
  • Pay the first-year tuition fee.
  • Purchase a Guaranteed Investment Certificate (GIC) worth 20,635 CAD from a Canadian bank.

What do you need to prepare for studying in Canada without financial proof?

Studying in Canada under SDS is exempt from financial proof


GIC (Guaranteed Investment Certificate) is Certificate Guarantee Investment, a requirement that is mandatory for some students studying abroad when applying for study abroad Canada under SDS category.

GIC requires you to deposit an amount of money 20,635 CAD into bank Canada to pay for expenses living in the year first.

Amount money this will be refunded a portion on day first open account bank in Canada and then will receive monthly until finish.

Study Plan

A Study Plan is a detailed outline that includes your academic goals, study program, study duration, and post-graduation plans. It's an essential part of your application to convince the consulate to grant your Canadian student visa.

In the Study Plan, important contents should be presented:

  • Clear academic goals.
  • Fit with the school and program.
  • Specific financial plan.
  • Reasons to return to Vietnam. 

How to write an effective Study Plan

Study Permit

A Study Permit allows you to study at a DLI in Canada. It is valid for the duration of your studies and can be extended if you meet the requirements.

Study Permit is issued right at the customs of the first airport where you arrive in Canada to study in Canada.

5 steps to get Study Permit to study in Canada


The Post-Graduation Work Permit (PGWP) allows you to work in Canada after completing your program at a DLI. PGWP is crucial for gaining work experience and enhancing your chances of settling in Canada. Graduates can stay and work for up to three years, depending on the length of their program.

Work Permit

A Work Permit is a work permit that allows you to work legally in Canada. There are different types of Work Permits, depending on your study abroad status, skills and the type of work you want to do.

International students at the Master's level will be allowed to bring their spouse with them under the Open Work Permit status. The spouse of an international student is granted a Work Permit and can work legally throughout Canada.

Express Entry

Express Entry is the system for assessing and selecting skilled immigrants for residency in Canada. It is the most popular pathway for international students to settle in Canada.

Express Entry scoring conditions include age, education level, work experience in TEER 0, 1, 2, 3, foreign language ability and a number of other requirements.

Currently, international students who know French, in STEM, Health Care and Skilled Trade fields are given priority for separate approval with lower scores.


The Provincial Nominee Program (PNP) allows provinces to nominate individuals for permanent residency based on their specific criteria. Each province has its own PNP with different requirements. Studying in less populated and remote provinces can provide a significant advantage.


TEER stands for Training, Education, Experience and Responsibilities, roughly translated as Training, Education, Experience and Responsibility. This is a new skills classification system applied by the Canadian government to replace the NOC (National Occupational Classification) system from November 2022.

The TEER system is used to classify jobs into five main skill groups. Federal and provincial settlements will be based on the system and actual human resource needs of each region to determine that region's own requirements.


Canadian permanent resident card, allowing you to live and work in Canada permanently. When you have a PR card, you enjoy most of the benefits of a Canadian citizen. At the same time, permanent residents can freely travel and live in any province, and are allowed to freely enter/exit Canada without needing to reapply for a visa.


Citizenship is a legal status that recognizes you as a citizen of a country. During the 5 year period from when you are granted PR, you must live in Canada for at least 3 years. 

In addition, to obtain Canadian citizenship, international students need to meet a number of conditions:

  • File tax returns for at least 3 of the 5 years in Canada
  • Language skills
  • Pass the citizenship test

Understanding these terms will make it easier for you to learn and prepare to study in Canada. Always update the latest information about studying abroad in Canada to have a smooth and successful study abroad journey!


Canada study abroad